(First non-technical post on my blog ;-))
This post is to highlight the simplicity in the process of transferring electricity bill to an individual’s name from Builder and encourage people to avoid using an agent help (especially avoiding the special pricing part). The overall process hardly take an hour and is cost effective.
Below are the steps and required documents:
- Take a printout of the document shared here, this document needs to be signed by your builder. Fill all the required details before giving the document to the builder
- Carry a Xerox of your latest EC. (not more than 3 months old). It takes about 250 Rupees to get a new EC. You would receive the EC within 4 days. You can save this 250 if you have a latest one.
- Take 2 copies of the Sale deed on both sides. One is needed for address change and the other for title change.
- 2 Passport size photos
- ID Proof
- Latest electricity bill
- You would need a Rs.100 Title Change Indemnity bond.
- You need to pay a Rs.25 challan
- Link document (both sides) if flat is land owner’s flat
- Rs.10 NOC by the joint owner, in case your flat is jointly owned.
Go to the near by electricity department with the above mentioned documents. There are enough shops around the electricity board where you can get bond mentioned in point 7 (even though it is 100/-, you would end up paying 160 or so depending on the shop). Usually there would be someone around in the board who would help you organise your documents and help in submission. I found the staff in Kukatpally electricity board really helpful and they didn’t expect any money.
In this process, you would maximum spend an amount of 500/-. If you try to go through a broker you would pay around 1200/- to 1500/- (it can vary depending on your relation and negotiation). The difference here might not be high but the point is if we understand the system, we can appreciate how things are organised, else we keep cribbing about bribery. Even if couple of folks avoid paying additional prices after reading this, I would be happy 🙂